Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Cumberland in Hancock County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Town

 
 
Old Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 26, 2010
1. Old Town Marker
Inscription. In 1839 John Cuppy laid out 42 lots on his farm between Ohio River and hill; added 50 lots in 1850. Named Vernon but called Cuppy Town. In 1840 John Chapman built the first house. Industry based on rich clay deposits, brick plants and river transportation saw population of 400 in 1850 expand to 1200 in 1870. Residential and commercial growth, incl. shops, stores, hotel, and churches, led to its claim as first and present county seat.
 
Erected 2002 by New Cumberland Woman's Club, and West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
 
Location. 40° 30.113′ N, 80° 36.693′ W. Marker is in New Cumberland, West Virginia, in Hancock County. Marker is on North Chester Street (West Virginia Route 2) south of Washington Street (West Virginia Route 8), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Cumberland WV 26047, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ohio River / Ohio River (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Cumberland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brickyard Bend (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old Town (approx. mile away); Captain John Porter / Chelsea China Company
Old Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 26, 2010
2. Old Town Marker
View of historical marker looking south along North Chester Street (State Route 2).
(approx. mile away); Contested County Seat (approx. mile away); Gravel Hill Academy (approx. mile away); a different marker also named New Cumberland (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Cumberland.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 26, 2010
3. Old Town Marker
View of historical marker looking north along North Chester Street (State Route 2).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement