Opp in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Depot / Opp, Alabama
In 1900, the L&N Railroad won the right to establish the railroad through this area. The town is named for Henry Opp, who represented L&N in successful legal negotiations. The coming of the railroad consolidated the surrounding areas and brought people and businesses from Poley, Opine, Cool Springs and other nearby areas. The first depot was a railcar parked on a sidetrack. As the town developed, a wooden building was constructed. The present structure was constructed in 1928 after the first building burned. The town received its charter from the state Legislature on February 28, 1901 and was officially incorporated on July 12, 1902 with limits extending one mile each way from the L&N Depot.
Opp has become known as "The City of Opportunity." The railroad was attracted to this area because of the huge virgin pine forests and the available lumber. This spot located on high ground proved to be an excellent turning point with one branch turning south toward Florala and another east to Geneva. The abundance of pine trees also attracted Opp's first industry, naval stores. Turpentine resin was harvested from pines growing on what is now the main thoroughfares of Opp. However, as the trees were cut for timber and the land cleared for farming, the naval stores were eliminated. City leaders
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Opp.
Location. 31° 16.873′ N, 86° 15.358′ W. Marker is in Opp, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 331/84) north of Cummings Avenue (U.S. 331/84), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the railroad depot. Marker is in this post office area: Opp AL 36467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Sanford (approx. 8 miles away); Site of Curtis School (approx. 9.9 miles away); Folsom Estate (approx. 14.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 14.4 miles away); Folsom Birthplace (approx. 14.4 miles away); Historic Court Square (approx. 14½ miles away); City of Elba (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Opp. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.