East New Market in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
East New Market
Settled 1660 on North-South Choptank Indian Trail.
Renamed “East New Market” in 1827. Incorporated 1884.
Erected by East New Market Town Council, Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 38° 35.937′ N, 75° 55.537′ W. Marker is in East New Market, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Maryland Route 16) and Academy Street (Maryland Route 14), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East New Market MD 21631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friendship Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faith Community UMC Church-Living a Double Life My Lady Sewall’s Manor (approx. 1.6 miles away); Choptank Landing-Escape from Poplar Neck (approx. 5.9 miles away); Escape from Poplar Neck (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Maryland Lot (approx. 5.9 miles away); Choptank (approx. 5.9 miles away); Freedom (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East New Market.
Also see . . . East New Market, Dorchester County, Maryland. The Comprehensive History of a small town on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. (Submitted on December 6, 2007.)
1. Correction to Information on the East New Market Historic Marker
Recently East New Market has been thoroughly researched an its history well documented. The research has revealed some inaccuracies stated on the marker at the center of town. There are not records that indicate that East New Market was ever known as Crossroads. The town grew along the Nanticoke Indian Path to the Choptank Indian Fort. Although trading among
— Submitted December 6, 2007, by Frank Collins of East New Market, Maryland.
Categories. • Native Americans • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,412 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 5, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on September 5, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.