Pemberton Park Historic Trail
A pastoral scene painted by Thomas Cooper and Frederick Lee is reminiscent of Handy's Meadow. The area now known as "Bell Island" was added to Pemberton Plantation in 1732 in a land transfer recorded simply as "Ye Vacancy Added." Over time, erosion from deforested land sent silt into the Wicomico River, eventually filling in the once-active shipping channel.
Erected by Wicomico County Parks & Tourism, Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network.
Location. 38° 20.783′ N, 75° 38.667′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker can be reached from Pemberton Historic Park Road 0.4 miles
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Drop to Drink (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original Residents (within shouting distance of this marker); Wicomico Wetlands (within shouting distance of this marker); A Show of Wealth (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); An Apple a Day (about 300 feet away); Pemberton Hall (about 400 feet away); The "Peculiar Institution" at Pemberton Plantation (about 500 feet away); Plantation Barnyard (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Categories. • Agriculture • Colonial Era • Environment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.