Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1884 Oakland Train Station
The center part of the building contains the main passenger waiting room and the Station Agent's office. The Station Agent and his assistants handled sales of passenger train tickets and arriving and departing freight shipments on the tracks behind the station. The east side of the station contains a second passenger waiting room, sometimes called the "Ladies Waiting Room."
Between these two rooms was the railroad's telegraph operator office that in later years also served as the Western Union office. An important feature of the "Queen Ann Style" building is the rounded tower and roof over the telegraph
At one time, a 250,000-gallon water tank used to supply water for steam locomotives stood 50 feed from the east end of the station. It was removed in the early 1920's.
The last regular passenger train to depart from the station was B&O No. 12 that left at 6:30 p.m. on April 30, 1971.
The Town of Oakland purchased the entire station property in 1998 and began the renovation work that was completed in 2000. Since that date, the 1884 Oakland Train Station has become a model for the "revitalization work" of downtown Oakland.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. 39° 24.606′ N, 79° 24.522′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on East Liberty Street west of South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 East Liberty Street, Oakland MD 21550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Gettysburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Oakland (a few steps from this marker); The Glades Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrett Memorial Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Regarding 1884 Oakland Train Station. Oakland was once a busy station, even as passenger trains were declining, greeting 8 long-distance express passenger trains a day in the 1940s and 1950s and numerous locals between Parkersburg and Cumberland.
B&O Train No. 12 (mentioned on the marker) was once a named train, the "Metropolitan Special", eastbound from St. Louis to Washington. No. 11 with the same name was the westbound train on the same route. The Metropolitan Special was a daily train with sleeping, dining and lounge cars as well as reclining seat coaches. It left St. Louis MO at 11:30 PM, got to Cincinnati OH at 7:30 in the morning, Parkersburg WV at 1:33 PM, and stopped in Oakland at 6:15 PM the on its way to Washington and then Baltimore. It would get to
Other named trains through Oakland were B&O Nos. 1 and 2, The National Limited, (New York to St. Louis via Washington); 3 and 4, The Diplomat, (New York via Washington to St. Louis); and 23 and 24, the West Virginian, (Washington to Wheeling WV).
Also see . . .
1. The Station (A Brief History). (Submitted on June 17, 2006.)
2. CSX Mountain Division, The Glades Section. A brief essay discussing the layout of the track between Terra Alta, WV and Altamont MD, with Oakland and its station approx. midway. (Submitted on June 17, 2006.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,329 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 5. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on August 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 7. submitted on June 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.