Rantowles in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Paul's, Stono / St. Paul's Churchyard
St. Paulís Parish, one of the ten original parishes of colonial S.C., was created by the Church Act of 1706. The first parish church was built in 1708 on a bluff overlooking the Stono River. The parsonage and outbuildings were destroyed during the Yamasee War of 1715. After St. Johnís Colleton Parish was created in 1734, a new parish church for St. Paulís was built 8 mi. NW in 1736.
St. Paul's Churchyard
Foundation ruins and a few graves are all that remain of the first St. Paulís, Stono. Robert Seabrook (1652-1710), buried here, served as high sheriff of Colleton County in 1698; as a captain of militia in 1706; and as a member of the Commons House of Assembly 1706-09, serving as Speaker in 1706. His wife Sarah (d. 1715) and their son Benjamin (d. 1717) are also buried here.
Erected 2002 by The Charles Towne Chapter, Colonial Dames of the XVII Century. (Marker Number 10-36.)
Location. 32° 44.923′ N, 80° 10.952′ W. Marker is in Rantowles, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on State Highway 162, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Towles Road and Dixie Plantation/ Bryan Road,East of Marvin's Meats. Marker is in this post office area: Hollywood SC 29449, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Plainsfield Plantation (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Stono Rebellion (1739) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Champneys' Pink Cluster (approx. 3.5 miles away); Belvidere School Site (approx. 4 miles away); Grave Of Colonel William A. Washington (approx. 4.2 miles away); John's Island Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (approx. 9.3 miles away); Federal Expedition on John's Island / Battle of Burden's Causeway (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,598 times since then and 155 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.