Erie in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William Leverett Morrison
Lieutenant-Commander U.S. Naval Reserve Force
—Citizen - Sailor - Oﬃcer - Friend —
Under his direction, the Pennsylvania Naval Militia in 1910 used the ship as its training base and on April 10, 1917, marched to active duty in the European Theatre of World War 1.
He commanded the ship from 1910 until her last cruise in 1923, when the port piston rod failed from crystallization after exactly 80 years service. Repairs were denied by the Navy Department.
This marker is erected in 1954 as a record of love, respect, reverence and devotion by those who have served under him.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 42° 8.173′ N, 80° 5.203′ W. Marker was in Erie, Pennsylvania, in Erie County. Marker was on East Front Street 0.1 miles east of State Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 150 East Front Street, Erie PA 16507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Paul Allman Siple (a few steps from this marker); USS Michigan Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Erie 9-11 Memorial Flagship Niagara (about 300 feet away); African American Sailors in the Battle of Lake Erie (about 300 feet away); Making of the Flag "Don't Give Up The Ship" (about 400 feet away); Captain Daniel Dobbins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexis de Tocqueville (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Erie.
More about this marker. This marker is located in front of the Erie Maritime Museum.
Categories. • War, World I • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 19, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on July 2, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.