Abbeville in Wilcox County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
De Soto Trail
De Soto Quadri-Centennial-1940
Erected 1940 by Works Progress Administration (WPA). (Marker Number 11 H-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 31° 59.551′ N, 83° 18.406′ W. Marker is in Abbeville, Georgia, in Wilcox County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broad Street (U.S. 129) and East Main Street (U.S. 280), on the left when traveling south on North Broad Street. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Wilcox County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 North Broad Street, Abbeville GA 31001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles Jefferson Davis (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Jefferson Davis (a few steps from this marker); Wilcox County (a few steps from this marker); New Hope Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Battle of Breakfast Branch (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ozias Church Bethlehem Church (approx. 10.8 miles away); Stuckey's (approx. 15½ miles away); Old Eastman School (approx. 15.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
Also see . . . Hernando de Soto in Georgia. The New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on February 5, 2011.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 5, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.