Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fort Granger

 
 
Fort Granger Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Dover, September 26, 2010
1. Fort Granger Marker
Inscription. In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger occupied Franklin. Construction of major fortifications began under the direction of Capt. W. E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers, the largest of them being placed on Figuers Bluff, .2 of a mile north on the Harpeth River. Fort Granger commanded the southern and northern approaches to Franklin and was adjacent to the critically important Tenn. & Ala. Railroad bridge. The artillery within the fort saw action twice in 1863 against Confederate cavalry forces. During the Battle of Franklin. Nov. 30, 1864 the site served as Hqtrs. of Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield (commander of U.S. forces) and as an active artillery position.
 
Erected 1989 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Location. 35° 55.32′ N, 86° 51.743′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Murfreesboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in Pinkerton Park, near the foot bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Murfreesboro Road, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Granger (here, next to this marker); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood
Fort Granger image. Click for full size.
By Michael Dover, September 26, 2010
2. Fort Granger
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ewen Cameron (approx. 0.3 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.3 miles away); Original St. Philip Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); John H. Eaton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Factory Store (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Sketch of Fort Granger image. Click for full size.
By Michael Dover, September 26, 2010
3. Sketch of Fort Granger
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. This page has been viewed 554 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement