Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lee Mansion

 
 
Lee Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 5, 2011
1. Lee Mansion Marker
Inscription. This Federal-style farmhouse was originally part of a complex constructed in 1818 on property that is now owned by Redstone Arsenal. In 1818, James Cooper, a cotton farmer constructed a house for his bride, Charity. After Mr. Cooper's death, Charity married Colonel Houston Lee and the Lee Mansion, as it was known, the nucleus of a large cotton and indigo plantation, was expanded. Between 1835 and 1940, it had several owners including the Harris family whom the United States Army acquired the estate from in 1941 to expand the Arsenal. The house was used as the residence of the commanding general and later as housing for visiting dignitaries. In 1973, when the Army decided that it was too costly to maintain as part of Redstone Arsenal, the house was purchased by the Darwins and moved to its present location.

The house is a good example of early nineteenth century Federal-style architecture. The centerpiece of the house is the winding staircase, one of only a few remaining in the county from this period. The house was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in March 2005.
 
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Location. 34° 43.288′ N, 86° 43.079′ W. Marker is in Madison, Alabama, in Madison
Lee Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 5, 2011
2. Lee Mansion Marker
Looking north on Metaire Lane.
County. Marker is on Metaire Lane north of Eastview Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Metaire Lane, Madison AL 35758, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Hall (approx. 1.8 miles away); City of Madison (was approx. 2.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Trail of Tears (approx. 2.6 miles away); "The Roundhouse" (approx. 2.6 miles away); Madison County Veterans (approx. 2.6 miles away); Affair at Madison Station / Affair at Indian Creek Ford (approx. 2.6 miles away); James Henry Bibb (approx. 2.7 miles away); Pension Row (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Lee Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 5, 2011
3. Lee Mansion
Lee Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 5, 2011
4. Lee Mansion
Property as seen from the intersection of Beaver Run Drive north of the marker.
Lee Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 5, 2011
5. Lee Mansion
A close-up of the front of the house.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 9, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,539 times since then and 297 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 9, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement