Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clayton in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Blackiston Methodist Church

 
 
Site of Blackiston Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob Marshall, June 4, 2009
1. Site of Blackiston Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was then constructed and named Blackiston's Chapel, to honor the family that provided the site. For many years it was the largest Methodist church on the Delmarva Peninsula. Many of the pioneers of Methodism visited here to preach. In 1847, the old church was moved and a new one was erected in its place. This building continued to stand until it was dismantled following a damaging storm in 1980.
 
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-74.)
 
Location. 39° 15.742′ N, 75° 44.268′ W. Marker is in Clayton, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Millington Road (Delaware Route 6) and Blackiston Church Road (Delaware Route 131), on the right when traveling east on Millington Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton DE 19938, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason-Dixon Line Crownstone (approx. 1.1 miles away in Maryland); Cheney Clow's Rebellion (approx. 4.3 miles away); Town of Kenton (approx. 4.6 miles away); Town of Clayton (approx. 6 miles away); Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends (approx. 6.9 miles away); "First in the World" (approx. 7.3 miles away); Sgt. John B. Maberry (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,513 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. Photo   1. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement