Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chestertown in Kent County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cliffs Schoolhouse

 
 
Cliffs Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob Marshall, November 12, 2009
1. Cliffs Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription. The last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Kent County. Erected in 1878 to serve a watermen's and farming community and was so used continuously until 1939. One teacher taught seven grades and as many as 46 students.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 39° 7.189′ N, 76° 8.776′ W. Marker is in Chestertown, Maryland, in Kent County. Marker is on Quaker Neck Road (Maryland Route 289) near Cliffs City Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5169 Quaker Neck Road, Chestertown MD 21620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martin Wagner (approx. 4.1 miles away); Rock Hall (approx. 4.9 miles away); Captain Lambert Wickes (approx. 4.9 miles away); Stanley B. Vansant Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Rock Hall Landing (approx. 5.3 miles away); Bounty Below (approx. 5.6 miles away); Right Place, Right Time (approx. 5.6 miles away); Attracted By Bounty (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Cliffs Schoolhouse. Cliffs Schoolhouse is the last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Kent County.
Cliffs Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bob Marshall
2. Cliffs Schoolhouse Marker
It was erected in 1878 to serve this farming community and was used until 1939. The building has been preserved in its original condition and is furnished with many of its original furnishings. (Submitted on February 10, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
Cliffs Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bob Marshall, November 12, 2009
3. Cliffs Schoolhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 10, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A Close-Up Clear picture of the marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement