Teaneck in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Brett Park / New Bridge Area
Hackensack River Greenway through Teaneck
—Hackensack River Stories —
and The Real
George Washington Bridge
This 10½ acre park named after Teaneck Mayor and open space advocate Clarence “Jim” Brett is one of the most historically significant site in Teaneck, indeed the Hackensack River Valley.
Just north of the park French Creek (Hesawakey Brook) marked the boundary between the Tappan Indians and the Hackensack Indians to the south. This strategically defended location on the narrows of the river known as “the Great Indian Field – the Indian Castle” became part of the 2100 acre Sara Kiersted patent in 1669. Kiersted became deedholder of much of modern day Teaneck as the result of a gift from Hackensack Indian Chief Oratam for her services as interpreter over many years between the Native Americans and the Dutch of New Neatherlands.
Historian Kevin Wright: “Through a process of conflict and accommodation, the Jersey Dutch achieved a complex multicultural society, blending significant contributions from the indigenous Lenape, Neatherlanders, Angolan Africans, English, Germans, French Huguenots, Scots, Scots-Irish, Scandinavians, Polish Silesians, and others into a distinct regional folk culture”.
It must be remembered that the conflicts suffered during these early
This land soon passed to the Van Buskirk family: in 1697 Peter Van Buskirk held title to 356 acres here at New Bridge. Commercial development of the area began shortly after the new bridge was built in 1744. A 1745 advertisement offers for sale buildings nearby including a house, bake house, bolting house, bakers oven and kitchen, smoke house, stable, garden and a wharf capable of docking vessels to 50 tons. Van Buskirk ran regular stagecoach service from New Bridge Tavern to Jersey City. At least two schools were on or near this site, including New Bridge Latin School (1766). The Zabriskie – Steuben House still stands across the river and houses part of the collection of the Bergen County Historical Society.
The American colonists’ revolution against the British from 1776 to 1783 upset this bucolic landscape as the strategic value of the New Bridge again became evident. On November 20, 1776 General George Washington and his troops – outnumbered 4 to 1 – outpaced the British advance, retreating across the Hackensack River. 36 days later at Trenton the young and precarious rebellion experienced its first victory – in part inspired by Thomas Paine’s words from The American Crisis drafted here at New Bridge.
Location. 40° 54.841′ N, 74° 1.783′ W. Marker is in Teaneck, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Main Street (Old New Bridge Road), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Teaneck NJ 07666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Cattails = Clay (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named New Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); New Bridge Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named New Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Zabriskie House (about 300 feet away); New Bridge Inn (about 400 feet away); Historic New Bridge Landing (about 400 feet away).
More about this marker. Along the right side of the marker are maps of the area from 1876 and 1936, as well as photos from 1910 and 1965. The lower left of the marker features a picture of Gen. Washington’s flag, courtesy of Kevin Tremble.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 775 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.