Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nevada City in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Trinity Episcopal Church

 
 
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
1. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. Trinity Episcopal Church, founded as a parish in 1855, opened for divine service in this building on November 2, 1873. Previously on this site was “Caldwell’s Upper Store”, built in 1849 for the miners of Upper Deer Creek Dry Diggings, now known as Nevada City and Washington School, 1863, the community's first high school.

The present building was erected by shipwrights working in the mines. Their craftsmanship may be seen in its construction.
 
Erected 1973 by Hydraulic Parlor No. 56 N.S.G.W. & Grand Parlor N.S.G.W. (Marker Number Nev. 0018.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 39° 15.797′ N, 121° 0.947′ W. Marker is in Nevada City, California, in Nevada County. Marker is at the intersection of Nevada Street and Grove Street and High Street, on the right when traveling south on Nevada Street. Touch for map. This is a three way intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 High Street, Nevada City CA 95959, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Marsh House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Original Ott Assay Office
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
2. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Wells Fargo Building (about 300 feet away); South Yuba Canal Office (about 300 feet away); Five Stamp Mill (about 300 feet away); Pelton Water Wheel (about 400 feet away); Robinson Plaza (about 400 feet away); Nevada Hose Co. No. 1 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nevada City.
 
Regarding Trinity Episcopal Church. Following the founding of this parish an Episcopal Church was founded in nearby Grass Valley which became today's Emmanuel Church. During the early period of Trinity Parish's history, the two parishes shared a Rector.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Grass Valley.
 
Also see . . .  Trinity Episcopal Church Parish History. On April 21, 1854, The Right Reverend William Kip, Bishop of California, held the first Episcopal Church service in the county's history in Nevada City. Despite a driving rainstorm there were over fifty people
Plaque Mounted at the Entrance of the Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
3. Plaque Mounted at the Entrance of the Church
First Service held here
April 21, 1854
by
The Right Reverend
William Ingraham Kip, D.D.
First Bishop of California
attending. A group of Episcopalians decided to form a congregation and a year and a day later, the Parish of the Holy Trinity was formally organized. (Submitted on February 15, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Trinity Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
4. Trinity Episcopal Church
Marker and church sign are located at the far left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement