Waynesboro, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-2-b.)
Location. 38° 4.1′ N, 78° 53.167′ W. Marker is in Waynesboro, Virginia. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 340) east of Arch Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waynesboro VA 22980, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Waynesboro ( about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); William H. Harman Monument ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Fishburne Military School ( approx. Port Republic Road Historic District ( approx. half a mile away); Plumb House ( approx. 0.6 miles away); W. J. Loth ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Virginia Metalcrafters ( approx. ¾ mile away); Early’s Last Battle ( approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waynesboro.
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker with the same title and number which read, “Here, on one of the first roads west of the Blue Ridge, a hamlet stood in colonial times. The Walker exploring expedition started from this vicinity in 1748. Here, in June, 1781, the Augusta militia assembled to join Lafayette in the East. A town was founded in 1797. It was established by law in 1801 and named for General Anthony Wayne.”
Also see . . .
1. Images of America, Waynesboro by Elizabeth Massie and Cortney Skinner. (Submitted on December 7, 2007.)
2. Basic City, Virginia. Became one of the “lost towns” of Virginia when it consolidated with Waynesboro in 1924. (Submitted on December 7, 2007.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,167 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.