Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Nashville Parthenon
The Parthenon was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972.
In 1987 the Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation undertook the rehabilitation of the interior of the Parthenon. The improvements include upgraded gallery space, a ground-level entrance and an elevator resulting in barrier-free accessibility to the entire facility for the first time.
As in 1897 and 1931, these improvements, completed in 1988, are a gift of the people of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County and serve as a reminder of Nashville's longstanding reputation as the Athens of the South.
1897 - Colonel W.C. Smith
1921 - Russell Hart
1987 - Gresham,
1897 - Edward Laurent
1921 - Foster and Creighton Company
1987 - Alexander and Shankle Construction Company
Location. 36° 8.97′ N, 86° 48.798′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker can be reached from 27th Avenue N 0.2 miles north of Poston Avenue. Touch for map. Located in Centennial Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2600 West End Avenue, Nashville TN 37203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Parthenon (within shouting distance of this marker); John W. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Defenses (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Nashville (was about 300 feet away but has been reported missing. ); United Nations Visit To Nashville (about 500 feet away); Major Wilbur Fisk Foster (about 600 feet away); Lieutenant James Simmons Timothy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Powder Grinding Wheels (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
Also see . . . The Parthenon. Nashville Parks & Recreation (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on February 21, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.