Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Town of Albion in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Albion Academy

 
 
Albion Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, January 5, 2011
1. Albion Academy Marker
Inscription. Albion Academy and Normal Institute, chartered in 1853 and opened in 1854, on land donated by Jesse Saunders, was founded and operated by Northwestern Seventh Day Baptist Association until 1894; by Peter Hendrickson, former Beloit College professor, until 1901; and by The Synod of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of America until 1918. Among its founders were Dr. C.R. Head, Board President for forty years, and A.B. Cornwall, beloved principal during its golden era. Its objective was to afford education so inexpensive that no one need forego it. Albion Academy graduated many outstanding students, including Alva Adams, Governor of Colorado; Knute Nelson, U.S. Senator from Minnesota, and Edwin L. Greene, world famous botanist. Among its faculty were Prof. Thure Kumlien, world famous naturalist, and Prof. Rasmus B. Anderson, later U.S. Minister to Denmark. In 1928 the Town of Albion purchased the buildings and campus for a park and in 1959 conveyed the remaining building, Kumlien Hall, to the Albion Academy Historical Society for preservation as a museum.
 
Erected 1960 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 95.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location.
Albion Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, January 5, 2011
2. Albion Academy Marker
Kumlien Hall
42° 52.8′ N, 89° 4.227′ W. Marker is in Town of Albion, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Campus Lane 0.1 miles west of Edgerton Road (Wisconsin Highway 106), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in Albion Park, between Academy Drive and Edgerton Road, just west of County Highway A. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 Campus Lane, Edgerton WI 53534, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sterling North (a few steps from this marker); Wisconsin's Tobacco Land (approx. 4.2 miles away); Koshkonong (approx. 5.2 miles away); Yahara River (approx. 5.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Rockdale Mill (approx. 6.7 miles away); East Park Historic District (approx. 7.6 miles away); Main Street Historic District (approx. 7.9 miles away); Lorine Niedecker (approx. 7.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Albion Academy Historical Society. (Submitted on February 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Education
 
Seventh Day Baptist Church of Albion image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, January 5, 2011
3. Seventh Day Baptist Church of Albion
Located across Highway A from Albion Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement