Glendale in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
A Precious Commodity
These millstones were used to grind wheat and corn into flour. Glendale oral histories tell us that in 1870 these burrs, as they were called, were brought here from Toquerville, Utah, 100 miles away.
Histories written about this area report that when James Leithead refounded Glendale in 1872, he brought with him "the gristmill machinery he had used on the Muddy River," about 175 miles southwest. Considering the effort needed to transport these heavy objects, they must have been very important to hungry settlers.
Erected by Bureau of Land Management.
Location. 37° 19.22′ N, 112° 35.874′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Utah, in Kane County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at the Glendale Orientation Center/Rest Area of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Glendale UT 84729, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glendale Orientation Center (here, next to this marker); The Berry Family (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glendale (approx. 0.3 miles away); United Order Woolen Mill Orderville Bell (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 3.7 miles away); United Order Industries (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cemetery at Orderville (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Also see . . . History of Glendale, Utah. (Submitted on February 23, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.