Ringwood in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ringwood Manor Forges
were made cannon and shot
for the Continental Army.
Washington and Greene were
quartered at the Manor
home of Robert Erskine,
Geographer of the Army.
Here began the march of
3,000 soldiers to Yorktown.
Erected 2010 by Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Location. 41° 8.192′ N, 74° 15.364′ W. Marker is in Ringwood, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is at the intersection of Sloatsburg Road and Convent Road, on the left when traveling north on Sloatsburg Road. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to Ringwood State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Ringwood NJ 07456, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ringwood Manor (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ringwood Manor Iron Complex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Erskine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Erskine F.R.S. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marine Chevaux De Frise (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ringwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Long Pond Ironworks (approx. 2.9 miles away); Water Power (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringwood.
Also see . . . A Brief History of the Forges & Manor of Ringwood. (Submitted on February 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
This marker is a replica of one that was installed at this location by the State of New Jersey in 1932. Passaic County replaced the marked in 2009-2010 as part of the celebration of the 90th Anniversary of the Passaic County Planning Department (1929).
— Submitted June 29, 2011, by Michael La Place of Passaic County, New Jersey.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 497 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.