Ringwood in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ringwood Manor Iron Complex
National Historical Mechanical Engineering Landmark
Ringwood Manor Iron Complex (1740-1931) was an important element in the early development of the iron industry in the United States. Among its leaders were the Ogdens, Peter Hasenclever, Robert Erskine – F.R.S., Martin Ryerson, Peter Cooper, and Abram S. Hewitt, who became important figures in American industrial history. The iron mines, furnaces, forges, and stamping mills of the complex supplied many of the needs of the American Revolutionary Army.
Erected 1978 by The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Location. 41° 8.295′ N, 74° 15.258′ W. Marker is in Ringwood, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is on Manor Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in Ringwood State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringwood NJ 07456, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ringwood Manor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ringwood Manor Forges (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Erskine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Erskine F.R.S. Marine Chevaux De Frise (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ringwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Long Pond Ironworks (approx. 3 miles away); Water Power (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringwood.
Also see . . . A Brief History of the Forges & Manor of Ringwood. (Submitted on February 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Ringwood Manor Iron Complex.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.