Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ellarslie

 
 
Ellarslie Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, December 2007
1. Ellarslie Marker
Inscription.
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty
Ellarslie
Fine example of Italianate villa designed by John Notman about 1846 for Henry McCall, Paper Manufacturer, was later home of Ion Perdicaris

 
Erected by Trenton Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 40° 14.214′ N, 74° 47.399′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from within Cadwalader Park. Touch for map. This marker is on the front porch of the Ellarslie Mansion, now part of the City Museum of Trenton, which is located in the middle of Cadwalader Park. After entering the park from Parkside Avenue opposite Bellevue Avenue follow the park road as it winds around to Ellarslie. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08618, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Briar Patch (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mercer County Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (about 500 feet away); The Swamp Angel (about 600 feet away); John A. Roebling (about 700 feet away); Cadwalader Park
The Front Porch of Ellarslie image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, December 2007
2. The Front Porch of Ellarslie
The marker is to the left of the entrance.
(about 700 feet away); The Hermitage (approx. ¾ mile away); Dorothea Dix (was approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Emlen House (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
 
Regarding Ellarslie. In February 1881, Henry McCall Jr. sold Ellarslie to George Farlee for $25,000. Seven years later, in September of 1888, the city of Trenton acquired the property from Farlee for $50,000, which also included the surrounding 80 acres, which would become the city's first public park, Cadwaladar Park, designed by the father of landscape architecture, Frederick Law Olmsted.

The City of Trenton opened the first museum here in 1889, closing several years later. Ellarslie has been a restaurant, ice cream parlor and monkey house. The building itself has been home to several noted Trenton families over the years, and in 1971 renovations began to create the Trenton City Museum.

The Trenton City Museum opened in 1978 in Ellarslie Mansion with an exhibition from our permanent collection of Trenton cultural history. Ellarslie Mansion is included in the National Registry of Historic Places.

Excerpt from the Trenton
The Trenton City Museum at Ellarslie Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, December 2007
3. The Trenton City Museum at Ellarslie Mansion
City Museum website for the Ellarslie Mansion

 
Also see . . .  The official website for the Trenton City Museum at Ellarslie Mansion. (Submitted on December 9, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,060 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement