Wells in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Falvey Memorial United Methodist Church
The Wells community was established in 1885 as the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad was built through the area to the south of Mt. Hope. It was named for Major E.H. Wells, a railroad engineer. Dr. J.C. Falvey and his wife, Matilda Falvey, settled in Wells that year. They joined the Mt. Hope Methodist congregation after it relocated to Wells in 1888. The congregation soon built a parsonage behind the new church.
The church was a focal point for area Methodist pioneers. This congregation prospered for the remainder of the 19th century and well into the 20th. From 1948 to 1950 a new church building was constructed on this site in honor of Dr. J.C. and Mrs. Matilda Falvey by their son. The Falvey Memorial Methodist Church was dedicated in 1951.
Active in the Mt. Hope and Wells communities from its earliest days, Falvey Memorial United Methodist Church continues to serve the area with programs of worship and service. These include
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12344.)
Location. 31° 29.206′ N, 94° 56.174′ W. Marker is in Wells, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of Rusk Avenue (U.S. 69) and 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on Rusk Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 S Rusk Ave, Wells TX 75976, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Hope Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Homer-Alto Road (approx. 3.2 miles away); Pollok Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Pollok Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Presidio Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores (approx. 8.1 miles away); Central Consolidated School (approx. 8.4 miles away); Gann Memorial Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); Charles "Charlie" Wilson (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wells.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2011. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.