Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Pillsbury A Mill
—Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail —
The company rewarded its skilled workers in ways that were years ahead of the practice in other industries. In 1883 it established an employee profit-sharing plan. Unions representing most mill employees negotiated an eight hour day in 1902.
When Charles A. Pillsbury opened the A mill in 1881, machinery was driven directly by water entering the mill through a 400-foot canal from the river. Closed off in the 1950s, the canal still exists beneath Main Street. The tailraces through which its water emptied can be seen below the river’s bank. In the 1880s four flour mills stood along Main Street, but the milling district here never rivaled that on the west bank.
While the other mills are no longer standing, the Pillsbury company still operates a large complex of buildings here. The sound of milling can still be
Erected by the St. Anthony Falls Heritage Board.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 44° 58.98′ N, 93° 15.12′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is on Main Street Southeast east of 3rd Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Main Street Southeast, Minneapolis MN 55414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Pillsbury A Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Pettingill's Wonderful Water (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Portaging Around the Falls (about 700 feet away); The Stone Arch Bridge (about 700 feet away); Father Hennepin Bluffs (about 800 feet away); Changing the Shape of the Falls (approx. ¼ mile away); The West Side Milling District (approx. ¼ mile away); The Whirlpool (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minneapolis.
Regarding The Pillsbury A Mill.
[photo captions, clockwise, starting from the lower left]
The canal that supplied waterpower to the A mill emptied back into the river through these tailraces. The Pillsbury mill stopped running on direct drive waterpower in 1955.
This Pillsbury Company advertisement from 1885 highlights and exaggerates the Pillsbury A Mill on the east side and other Pillsbury mills on the west, deliberately obscuring mills belonging to its rivals.
A mechanical or "direct drive" waterpower system, showing water from the river channeled through raceways to drop into turbine pits, the force of its fall rotating turbines that in turn drove machinery in the mills. The two Victor turbines used in the A mill each generated 1,200 horsepower. This was the largest direct drive waterpower system ever constructed.
By 1880 Minneapolis mills had replace millstones with iron or porcelain rollers for grinding flour. These roller stands were in the Pillsbury A Mill.
Also see . . .
1. Pillsbury A Mill. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on March 5, 2011.)
2. Library of Congress. Photos from the Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record. (Submitted on March 5, 2011.)
3. Minnesota Historical Society. Photos from the Visual Resources Database. (Submitted on March 5, 2011.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.