Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Congregation of Israel - 1884
On Sept. 9, 1884, Congregation of Israel, dedicated the first permanent Jewish house of worship in the State of Nebraska, near this site, at 2320 Harney Str. In 1908, the growing congregation built and moved to a new house of worship at Park Ave. & Jackson Sts. The Byzantine styled synagogue was designed by the renowned Omaha architect, John Latenser. Congregation of Israel formally changed its name to Temple Israel in 1945. The Jackson St. building was sold in 1951 to St. John’s Greek Orthodox Church.
Congregation of Israel affirmed the American principles of freedom of religion and assembly.
Erected 2008 by City of Omaha, Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, Nebraska Jewish Historical Society.
Location. 41° 15.405′ N, 95° 56.786′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on Harney Street east of South 24th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Harney Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Central High School (approx. ¼ mile away); On The Wings of Angels 9/11 Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Capitol Hill (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Mass in Omaha (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Among the Valiant" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Omaha Centennial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Right Reverend & Mrs Robert Harper Clarkson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . .
1. Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. The plaque dedication and vintage photo. (Submitted on February 24, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
2. The History of the Congregation of Israel in Omaha. (Submitted on February 28, 2011.)
Additional keywords. Jewish American History
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 608 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on March 7, 2011. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. 3. submitted on May 13, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.