Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

James Mears House

1871

 
 
James Mears House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
1. James Mears House Marker
Inscription. This square house designed in a modified Federal style with Italianate detailing was built for Major James Mears, realtor and merchant from New York state. The cream brick residence was originally built at a cost of $5,000. Its significant architectural characteristics include hipped roof brick, balanced elevation and main entrance to the left of center.
 
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 15.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.632′ N, 89° 23.39′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Carroll Street and West Gilman Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is in the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 North Carroll Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Van Slyke House (within shouting distance of this marker); Breese J. Stevens House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beecroft House (within shouting distance
James Mears House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
2. James Mears House
The marker is in the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house.
of this marker); Wootton - Mead House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steensland House (about 400 feet away); Suhr House (about 400 feet away); World-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright called Madison his hometown (about 400 feet away); Frank G. Brown House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding James Mears House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This lovely Italianate house was built for James and Lois Mears. Mears was a civil engineer who came to Madison from New York state in 1852. In Madison he took up the dry goods business, later changing to lumber. In the Civil War he served as an Army paymaster. The house features characteristic Italianate details, including doubled brackets under the eaves, a shallowly pitched hip roof brick corner pilasters, a row of brick dentils (teeth) under the cornice and carved stone lintels. The classical porch dates to the early 20th century."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
James Mears House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
3. James Mears House
The east corner of the house.
 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
James Mears House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 13, 2011
4. James Mears House
The northwest, West Gilman Street side of the house.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement