Near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The small depot became a major Confederate railhead in November 1862. Union artillery located across the Rappahannock River could fire upon the tracks immediately south of Fredericksburg, so trains from Richmond unloaded supplies in safety at Hamilton’s Crossing. Confederate troops defended Hamilton’s Crossing during the Battle of Fredericksburg and camped in the vicinity during the winter of 1862-3.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 14.872′ N, 77° 26.123′ W. Marker was near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker was on Lee Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at the end of Lee Drive in the Fredericksburg National Military Park, just beyond a fence. Marker was in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22408, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Hamilton's Crossing (here, next to this marker); Dead Horse Hill Jackson Holds Prospect Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); A Southern Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Meade Pyramid (approx. Ľ mile away); Fredericksburg Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Union Breakthrough (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding Hamilton's Crossing. This marker was replaced by an updated wayside marker with the same name, see nearby markers.
Categories. • Military • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,075 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.