Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1st Drive-In Filling Station

 
 
1st Drive-In Filling Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 13, 2011
1. 1st Drive-In Filling Station Marker
Inscription. At this site in Dec. 1913, Gulf Refining Co. opened the first drive-in facility designed and built to provide gasoline, oils, and lubricants to the motoring public. Its success led to construction of thousands of gas stations by different oil companies across the nation.
 
Erected 2000 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 27.563′ N, 79° 55.834′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of Baum Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 380) and South St. Clair Street, on the right when traveling east on Baum Boulevard. Touch for map. Located in the Friendship/East Liberty Section of Pittsburgh. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15206, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Motor Square Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suburban Catalyst (approx. 0.3 miles away); Portal of Industry (approx. 0.3 miles away); East Liberty Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Highwood (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx.
1st Drive-In Filling Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 13, 2011
2. 1st Drive-In Filling Station Marker
0.4 miles away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. half a mile away); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Also see . . .  1st Drive-In Filling Station - Behind The Marker. (Submitted on March 16, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Gulf Service Station image. Click for full size.
By Strickler Studio, 1913
3. Gulf Service Station
The Gulf Refining Company's station, the first drive-in service station in the United States. Courtesy: Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
Attendant Tips Hat at Gulf Service Station image. Click for full size.
By Arthur T. Spohn, Gulf, 1949
4. Attendant Tips Hat at Gulf Service Station
One of numerous Gulf Service Stations in the Pittsburgh area. Courtesy: Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement