Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
—Claude & Starck —
Erected 1975 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.977′ N, 89° 22.842′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gorham Street and North Blount Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gorham Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 704 East Gorham Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln School (within shouting distance of this marker); Anna and Cornelius Collins Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Irene and Robert Connor Residence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bernard - Hoover Boat House Leitch House (about 500 feet away); City Horse Barn (about 700 feet away); Adolf H. Kayser House (about 700 feet away); Here was Madison’s first African-American neighborhood (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Collins House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The Collins House was designed by Claude and Starck, Madison's most well known and prolific practitioners of the style, and this house is one of the finest examples of their work. It features the hallmarks of the Prairie style, including a strong horizontality created by bands of windows, a beltcourse under the second story windows, wide, overhanging eaves, extra long, narrow bricks, and simple, non-historic details. The house was built for William and Dora Collins. William Collins was his brother's partner in the Collins Brothers, a manufacturer and wholesaler of wood products. His brother, Cornelius, lived in a house just down the street, at 636 [sic] E. Gorham Street, built just four years before this house, and his niece Irene, built a house at 640 E. Gorham Street in 1920." The Madison Landmarks
The Anna and Cornelius Collins House at 646 East Gorham Street was built in 1908 and designated as a landmark (no. 100) on February 1, 1993: "Built for Anna and Cornelius Collins, spouses and partners in the Collins Brothers Lumber Company, this house embodies the eclecticism popular in the early decades of the twentieth century. Prolific Madison architects Louis Claude and Edward Starck brought together features of the Prairie style, Tudor Revival, and American Craftsman. It is also representative of the type of house chosen by and designed for Madison's business elite just after the turn of the twentieth century."
The Irene and Robert Connor House at 640 East Gorham Street was built in 1920 and designated as a landmark (no. 101) on February 1, 1993: "This Colonial Revival house features an interesting floor plan: the stairs to the second floor are immediately in front of the main entrance, similar to many of the old Colonial houses on Cape Cod. The house was built for Irene Connor, daughter of Anna and Cornelius Collins who lived next door at 646 E. Gorham, and her husband Robert Connor. When Anna Collins died, her daughter Irene took over the vice-presidency of the family's lumber concern. The Collins/Connor houses at 640, 646 and 704 E.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for buildings designed by Claude & Starck.
Also see . . .
1. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the William and Dora Collins house. (Submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the Anna and Cornelius Collins house. (Submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
3. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the Irene and Robert Connor house. (Submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,341 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6. submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.