Massachusetts Heights in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Herb Cottage was built as the temporary baptistry of Washington National Cathedral. The first Bishop of Washington, Henry Yates Satterlee, commissioned this building from architect T. Henry Randall (1862-1905). It was begun in 1903 and completed in the spring of 1904, several years before the Cathedral itself was begun (in 1907). The entrance to the building was originally through its west door facing Wisconsin Avenue, the major point of access to the Cathedral grounds.
As the construction of the Cathedral progressed, baptism services were conducted in the Cathedral's chapels, and the west aisle of the South Transept was set aside as the Cathedral's baptistry in the 1950s. By 1934 a portion of the "Old Baptistry" was being used as a small shop for plants and seeds under the auspices of the All Hallows Guild. By 1958, this building was in full use as the Herb Cottage, making gifts available to pilgrims and visitors to Washington National Cathedral.
Erected by Washington National Cathedral.
Location. 38° 55.792′ N, 77° 4.279′ W. Marker is in Massachusetts Heights, District of Columbia, in Washington. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to the Herb Cottage, on the grounds of the Washington
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Why Are These Stones Here? (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); All Hallows Guild (about 300 feet away); The Road to Fort Duquesne (about 400 feet away); Washington National Cathedral (about 800 feet away); Bishop Aimilianos Laloussis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral Cornerstone (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Vladimir Millennial Bell Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); The National War Memorial Shrine of the Russian Orthodox Church of America (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Massachusetts Heights.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 622 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.