Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson

 
 
Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 11, 2011
1. Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson Marker
Inscription.
Founder of the City of Lincoln
First president of the Sacramento Valley Railroad
Founder of the California Central Railroad

Colonel Wilson came to California in 1849 not to look for gold but to build a transportation industry. After operating a successful toll road & toll bridge in the San Francisco area and a shipping line on the Sacramento River, Wilson turned his talents to the building of a railroad. He was responsible for bringing Theadore Judah to California in 1854 – the West’s most important civil engineer. In 1859 Wilson laid out the town of Lincoln, the town that bears his name. The city lots sold by public auction in 1861.
 
Erected 1986 by Lord Sholto Douglas No. 3, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.503′ N, 121° 17.434′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on 5th Street west of E Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Civic Center Auditorium to the right of the entrance doors. The building is located on the southwest corner of 5th and E Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 561 5th Street, Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 11, 2011
2. Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Beerman Plaza (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Hoppert Building (about 400 feet away); I O O F Building (about 500 feet away); Fleming Building (about 600 feet away); Emmada Building (about 600 feet away); Butterfield/Jansen Building (about 700 feet away); First Clay Pipe Plant in the West (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
 
Regarding Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson. From 1861 to 1864 Lincoln was a thriving freighting center. The relocation of the terminus of the California Central Railroad to Wheatland in 1866, along with the moving of the stage and teamster business, activity in Lincoln declined.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lincoln – A Town of Beginnings and Endings. Excerpts from an article written by Bill Wilson in the Auburn Sentinel, October 2, 1992. (Submitted on March 20, 2011.) 

2. California Central Railroad. A NY Times article published March 19, 1860 reports the importance of the California Central and Sacramento Valley Railroads to the state and its industries in the Central Valley and gold mining regions of the Sierra Nevada Foothills. (Submitted on March 20, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Lincoln Civic Center Auditorium image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 11, 2011
3. Lincoln Civic Center Auditorium
To the far left of the photo is the marker and the Lincoln Veterans Hall - location of the World War II Memorial
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 20, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement