In order to begin development, it was necessary for Colonial Heights Corporation to extend Moultrie’s water system from its then City limits, 13th Avenue. With assistance from the WPA, the line was built, and eventually given to the City by Colonial Heights Corporation.
Colonial Heights extends North and South from Pine Avenue to what is now Sunset Shopping Center, and East and West from the former Coastline RR to the former Georgia Northern RR. There is an area North of Tallokas Road, known as Colonial Heights Annex.
The first lots sold were along Main Street, and subsequent development was handled in phases. To encourage sales, the corporation decided to build houses, as demand warranted. After returning from service in the Navy, son Matt Friedlander took charge of the development. (1945)
In total there are more than 340 houses. All of these, except for a few, were built by Matt Friedlander’s Construction unit. R. B. Wright School was built on 2nd Street, in 1958.
Colonial Heights remains one of Moultrie’s preferred residential areas.
Erected 2002 by City
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 31° 8.974′ N, 83° 47.317′ W. Marker is in Moultrie, Georgia, in Colquitt County. Marker is on South Main Street (Georgia Route 33) 0.1 miles south of Lower Meigs Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is in the 1900 block of South Main Street. Marker is in this post office area: Moultrie GA 31768, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Totem Pole (approx. 2.1 miles away); Colquitt County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Greenfield Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Murphy Settlement (approx. 5.9 miles away); Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 15.3 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 649 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.