New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Governor of Louisiana
1777 to 1785
The government of Spain donates this statue to the city of New Orleans to commemorate the bicentennial year of the independence of the United States to which the Spanish governor so decisively contributed.
Erected 1977 by Government of Spain.
Location. 29° 56.985′ N, 90° 3.818′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker can be reached from Canal Street east of Royal Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Canal Steet, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); United States Customhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); 114 Magazine Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Bank’s Arcade (approx. ¼ mile away); 700 South Peters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bienville Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Importer's Bonded Warehouses - Henry Howard, Architect (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitney National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
More about this marker. Marker is at the foot
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Bernardo de Gálvez y Madrid, Count of Gálvez. (Submitted on October 30, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Viceroy of New Spain; Juan De Avalos, sculptor.
Categories. • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,865 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on March 24, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.