Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
—Hood's Campaign —
Capt. Giles J. Cockerill, Battery D, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, commanded four 3-inch rifled cannon in Fort Granger on the hill in front of your during the Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864. Cockerill’s guns fired 163 rounds and inflicted serious losses among the Confederates behind you and across the Harpeth River. Most of the shells fell on Gen. A. P. Stewart’s Corps, which formed the right wing of the attacking Confederate line, as it marched toward the Union defenses. Many Confederates later recounted the awful fire that poured into them from the fort across the river.
Fort Granger, named for Union Gen. Gordon Granger, was an impressive post. After United States forces captured Nashville early in 1862, they occupied Franklin within a few weeks. The planning and construction of a new fort north of the Harpeth River atop Figuers Bluff, adjacent to the railroad to Nashville, began a few months later. When completed, its interior encompassed almost 275,000 square feet. By early in 1863, it bristled with artillery, and several thousand troops were stationed there. Within a month, however, most of the Federal troops posted at Fort Granger were ordered east to join Gen. William S. Rosecrans’s army as it moved south. From that time until the Battle of Franklin, only a small garrison occupied the fort. The Federals hanged two Confederate spies there on June 9, 1863.
Execution of Confederate spies, Fort Granger, Courtesy Williamson County Historical Society
Gen. Gordon Granger, Courtesy Library of Congress
Schematic of Fort Granger, Courtesy The Heritage Foundation
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 55.32′ N, 86° 51.743′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Murfreesboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in Pinkerton Park, near the foot bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Murfreesboro Rd, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Granger (here, next to this marker); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ewen Cameron (approx. 0.3 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.3 miles away); Original St. Philip Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); John H. Eaton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Factory Store (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,174 times since then and 43 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 6, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.