Main Street Commercial Historic District
This District encompasses the old downtown commercial center of Dothan and is characterized by a high concentration of closely spaced commercial and warehouse structures. The buildings in the District span the period of Dothanís early growth from 1885 to 1930. During this time Dothan grew from a small rural town into the trade and transportation nucleus of the Wiregrass, the last area of Alabama to be settled and developed. The District is composed of simple, one-story brick buildings as well as larger, more ornate urban-type structures such as the five-story Young Building.
Contained within this district are a variety of brick, stone, and concrete block structures which illustrate the function of the downtown area as the business center of Dothan. This section of the City began losing its importance as a commercial hub in the late 1960ís when retail businesses began moving to outlying shopping centers and malls. Many buildings were vacated but efforts to preserve the historical significance of the area continue. The Main Street District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 through the efforts of the Dothan Landmarks Foundation.
Erected 1985 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Dothan Landmarks Foundation.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1905 Houston County Courthouse Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Houston County (about 400 feet away); Dothan Opera House (about 400 feet away); The Founding of Dothan (about 400 feet away); Johnny Mack Brown (about 500 feet away); Federal Building (about 600 feet away); The Steamboat Era (about 800 feet away); Poplar Head Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dothan.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.