New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Mark’s in-the-Bowery
This late Georgian (1799) church replaced the chapel Peter Stuyvesant built in 1660 on his Bouwerie or Farm - making this Manhattan’s oldest site used for a place of worship. Not only is the last Dutch Governor-General buried here, but also seven generations of his descendants as well as members of the Goelet, Schermerhorn and Lorillard families. The Greek Revival steeple, added in 1828, and the Italianate cast-iron porch of 1854 harmonize remarkably well with the original church.
Erected 1970 by New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 43.806′ N, 73° 59.22′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of E 10th Street and 2nd Avenue, on the left when traveling east on E 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 E 10th Street, New York NY 10003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Petrus Stuyvesant (a few steps from this marker); Ukranian Americans World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Petrus Stuyvesant (a few steps from this marker); Daniel D. Tompkins (within Hebrew Technical Institute (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library (about 400 feet away); Stuyvesant – Fish House (about 500 feet away); Stuyvesant Polyclinic (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Also see . . .
1. History of St. Mark’s in-the-Bowery. (Submitted on March 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. New Stuyvesant Tablet Erected-The New York Times;Published: September 21, 1902. Stone Bearing Slightly Changed Inscription Replaces Older One in St Mark's Church.((Picture 5)) (Submitted on April 5, 2011.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 392 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.