New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Judson Memorial Church
Landmarks of New York
Constructed in 1892, this Baptist Church, named in memory of Adoniram Judson, was designed in a Greco-Romanesque style by McKim, Mead and White, with stained glass windows by John La Farge and a baptistry executed by Herbert Adams from plans of St. Gaudens. Dr. Judson was one of the first American missionaries sent to foreign lands when appointed to Burma in 1811. His son, Edward Judson, placed in the cornerstone a copy of his father’s Burmese translation of the Bible.
Erected 1963 by The New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 43.821′ N, 73° 59.907′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of W 4th Street and Thompson Street, on the right when traveling east on W 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the façade of Judson Memorial Church, across the street from Washington Square Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Washington Square South, New York NY 10012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexander Lyman Holley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Arch (about 500 feet away); No. 22 Washington Square North (about 600 Eleanor Roosevelt (about 700 feet away); Bella Abzug (about 700 feet away); Edward I. Koch (about 800 feet away); Cervantes (about 800 feet away); John W Draper and the Founding of the American Chemical Society (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Also see . . . History of Judson Memorial Church. (Submitted on March 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.