Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centreville in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Confederate Defenses

 
 
Confederate Defenses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, June 10, 2006
1. Confederate Defenses Marker
Inscription. Here while the Confederate army camped at Centreville, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston built strong fortifications in the winter of 1861–1862. In Feb. 1862, President Jefferson Davis ordered Johnston to evacuate them and move his army closer to Richmond, the Confederate capital. Outnumbered by Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac, Johnston complied. On 10 March, McClellan found "Quaker cannon," logs painted black, in the abandoned trenches to deceive his scouts. McClellan, believing that he was outnumbered, already had planned to attack Richmond from the east instead of the north, via the Peninsula between the James and York rivers.
 
Erected 1999 by the Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number C-21.)
 
Location. 38° 50.275′ N, 77° 26.485′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Machen Road and Lee Highway (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling south on Machen Road. Touch for map. This and three other markers are on the Centreville Public Library grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14200 Saint Germain Drive, Centreville VA 20120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this
Confederate Defenses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, June 10, 2006
2. Confederate Defenses Marker
marker. Second Battle of Manassas (here, next to this marker); Campaign of Second Manassas (here, next to this marker); First Battle of Manassas (here, next to this marker); Old Stone Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Archaeology at Newgate Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaces a circa 1920–1930 marker with the same number that was originally erected on Route 211 in Centreville. Route 211 became Route 29/211, and finally just plain Route 29. The original marker's text was different. It read:

“Here Joseph E. Early built fortifications in the winter of 1861–62 while the Confederate army was camped at Centreville. These strong works led McClellan in the spring of 1862 to attack Richmond from the York-James peninsula instead of from the north.”
 
Also see . . .  Illustration: A portion of the abandoned Confederate works and camp at Centreville. Originally published by The Illustrated London News. This image at the George Mason University Library site. (Submitted on June 25, 2006.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Quaker Guns at Centreville Fort image. Click for full size.
3. Quaker Guns at Centreville Fort
"Group of Federal soldiers in Confederate fort on heights of Centreville with Quaker guns." (Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division)
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cwpb.00981
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,792 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 25, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on February 24, 2008. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of original marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement