New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fifth Avenue Building
“Heritage of New York”
Erected in 1909, this building was designed by Maynicke and Franke in Italian Renaissance Eclectic Style. The first structure on this site was the farmhouse of Christopher Mildberger, moved here in 1839 during the extension of Fifth Avenue. Thereafter, a Corporal Thompson operated it as a tavern, Madison Cottage, until 1852, when it was replaced by Franconiís Hippodrome. In 1859, the six-storied, white marble Fifth Avenue Hotel, with the first hotel passenger elevator in New York, opened here and became a center of the cityís social and political life.
Erected 1966 by The New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 44.507′ N, 73° 59.372′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and E 23rd Street, on the right when traveling south on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William H. Seward (within shouting distance of this marker); Eternal Light Flagstaff (within shouting distance of this marker); To Our Heroes (within shouting distance of this marker); Edith Wharton Flatiron Building (within shouting distance of this marker); General Worth Square (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Major General William Jenkins Worth (about 400 feet away); Madison Avenue Centennial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.