Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canﬁeld Congregational Church / Canﬁeld United Methodist Church
Canfield Congregational Church
On this site, the Canfield Congregational Church, the first church in Canfield village, was built in 1822. The congregation was organized in 1804 by Joseph Badger and Thomas Robbins, both missionaries from the Connecticut Missionary Society. This was the fifth Congregational Church organized west of the Allegheny Mountains and the fourth organized on the Western Reserve. In 1853, there was a division in the church and a faction split off to form the Canfield Presbyterian Society. In 1837, an antislavery speech was given by Reverend Miller from the Poland Methodist Church. A rowdy group of outsiders protested his words and threw eggs onto the pulpit. They waited for him outside with tar and feathers, but the ladies of the church hastily escorted him out the back door to his horse and buggy, and he made a hasty and safe departure. The Bible with egg on it is displayed in the church.
Canfield United Methodist Church
In 1906, membership at the Canfield Congregational Church declined. The congregation disbanded and gave the property to the Canfield Methodist Episcopal Church. The Methodist Society had been organized by Reverend Shadrach Bostwick in 1820. In 1826, a wooden church was built on Lisbon Street and was called the Bethel Chapel.
Erected 2007 by Canfield Historical Society, Robert H. and Maxine D. Neff and Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.425′ N, 80° 45.613′ W. Marker is in Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is on South Broad Street (Ohio Route 46) north of Lisbon Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 South Broad Street, Canfield OH 44406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mahoning Dispatch Building (within Canfield Township Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield War Vet Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 400 feet away); Canfield WPA Memorial Building (about 600 feet away); Canfield Christian Church (about 600 feet away); Old Mahoning County Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canfield.
Also see . . . Canfield United Methodist Church. (Submitted on March 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 8, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on December 8, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.