Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fostoria in Seneca County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fostoria, Ohio

Home of Fostoria Glass

 
 
Fostoria, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
1. Fostoria, Ohio Marker
Inscription. Fostoria's glass era began when natural gas was discovered in the mid 1880s at “Godsend,” five miles west of town. Aided by former governor Charles Foster, Fostoria attracted more than a dozen companies that manufactured utilitarian and decorative glassware from 1887 to 1920. These companies produced windows, bottles, tableware, lamps, shades, and electric incandescent lamps. The Fostoria Glass Company was the best-known manufacturer of glass in Fostoria. From 1887 to 1891, it made a wide variety of decorative glass including its famous “Victoria” pattern tableware. Even after the company relocated to Moundsville, West Virginia following the depletion of natural gas in the area, it retained the name “Fostoria,” which is still synonymous with excellence in the glass-making art.
 
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Fostoria Area Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-74.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 10.3′ N, 83° 25.27′ W. Marker is in Fostoria, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the
Fostoria, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
2. Fostoria, Ohio Marker
intersection of North County Line Street (U.S. 23) and Perrysburg Road (Ohio Route 199), on the right when traveling south on North County Line Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fostoria OH 44830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Risdon Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Perry Center (approx. 3.9 miles away); Village of Arcadia /The Arcadia Heritage (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sheriden Cave (approx. 13.3 miles away); Lunatic House 1885 (approx. 16 miles away); Wood County Infirmary (approx. 16 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fostoria Glass Society of America. (Submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement