Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Here stood Battery Rodgers, built in 1863 to prevent enemy ships from passing up the Potomac River. The battery had a perimeter of 30 yards and mounted five 200 pounder Parrott guns and one 15-inch Rodman. It was deactivated in 1867.
Erected by the Civil War Round Table of Alexandria.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 47.71′ N, 77° 2.598′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South Lee Street and Green Street, on the right on South Lee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at the foot of Green Street. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guarding the Potomac (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jones Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lost Village of Cameron at Great Hunting Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War I-Era Rudder (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prehistory to Colonial Settlement The Emerging Nation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Civil War and Battery Rodgers (approx. 0.2 miles away); World Wars to the Present (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . . George Washington Rodgers (1822-1863). (Submitted on April 3, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Battery Rodgers Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The battery stood along the 800 block of South Lee Street. Named for Navy Captain George W. Rodgers, killed in action at Charleston Harbor on August 17, 1863. The battery stood 28 feet above the river, and worked with Forts Foote and Washington to protect the river access to the Capital.
The "face" of the battery was 185 feet long, with side curtains of 60 to 80 feet protecting the flanks. The battery had two magazines, two bomb-proof filling rooms, a hospital, two barracks, a prison, and a mess hall. As mentioned on the marker, the armament was five
— Submitted June 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,601 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on April 4, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 21, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5. submitted on June 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on April 3, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.