Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
John Redd Hutcheson
Director, Agricultural Extension Services 1919-1945
President, VPI Foundation 1948-1962
Alumnus president John Redd Hutcheson worked tirelessly to prepare VPI for the flood of returning World War II veterans and developed a sense of optimism and pride on campus. A nationally noted agricultural leader, he received numerous honors, including Doctor of Science degrees from both Clemson and North Carolina State Colleges. The affable man served as VPIís only Chancellor.
Hutcheson Hall completed in 1940
Marker donated by Class of 1953
Erected by VPI Class of 1953.
Location. 37° 13.554′ N, 80° 25.371′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of West Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Oldham Sandy (within shouting distance of this marker); Harvey Lee Price (about 300 Robert James Davidson (about 600 feet away); John Edward Williams (about 700 feet away); The Alwood Oak (about 800 feet away); Solitude (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bradford Alwood (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . Hutcheson Hall. Virginia Tech (Submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 269 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.