Near Loretto in Marion County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Charles Burks began a distillery operation, circa 1805-1815, in connection with family gristmill. It was located near the present stillhouse. Charles Burks died in 1831, and the distillery was in operation until then. In 1889, distilling was begun again by George R. Burks, a great-grandson. He erected present plant now known as Maker's Mark Distillery. Over
Formerly known as Burks Mill and distillery. At the site of the present stillhouse, Charles Burks erected, September 1805, a waterpowered gristmill. The limestone walls of that early structure still stand, providing foundation support for the present stillhouse. Except during time of prohibition, milling of grain has been continuous since 1805. Over
Erected 1974 by Kentucky Historical Society. (Marker Number 1509.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 38.85′ N, 85° 20.983′ W. Marker is near Loretto, Kentucky, in Marion County. Marker is on Don Ryan Road 0.1 miles north of Burk Spring Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3350 Burk Spring Road, Loretto KY 40037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Catholic Pioneers (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ben Hardin, 1784-1852. ← Grave (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cartwright's Station (approx. 6.2 miles away); Morgan's Headquarters (approx. 7.1 miles away); Major General George H. Thomas at Lebanon, Kentucky (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Battle of Lebanon (approx. 7½ miles away); Eminent Theologian (approx. 7½ miles away); The L&N Depot (approx. 7½ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Makers Mark Bourbon. (Submitted on April 11, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Kentucky Bourbon Trail. (Submitted on April 11, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2011, by Deborah Poor of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2011, by Deborah Poor of Fort Wayne, Indiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.