Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983)

 
 
Kent County Courthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, October 9, 2006
1. Kent County Courthouses Marker
Inscription. Court was first held in Jones County in 1680. In 1682 William Penn changed the county’s name to Kent County. On August 11, 1863 William Penn directed that the town of Dover be laid out and that a courthouse be erected at the intersection of its two main streets. In 1697-1699 a courthouse was erected in accordance with Penn’s direction at the site of the present courthouse. A former courthouse had been ordered burned for its nails. The 1699 building was used until 1722 when it was sold for use as a tavern and a new courthouse was erected on the east side of The Green. The courts met at that site until 1874 when the present courthouse was erected as a four-story building. In 1918 it was remodeled and reduced to three stories. It has been expanded at various times, including 1957 and 1983.
 
Location. 39° 9.362′ N, 75° 31.408′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from The Green near South State Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the rear entrance to the Kent County Court House on the southeast corner of South State Street and The Green. Marker is at or near this postal address: #38 The Green, Dover DE 19901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
The Kent County Court House. image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer
2. The Kent County Court House.
marker. Site of King George’s Tavern (a few steps from this marker); John Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware Line (within shouting distance of this marker); State House (within shouting distance of this marker); An Army of Restoration (CCC) (within shouting distance of this marker); Ridgely House (within shouting distance of this marker); In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The Golden Fleece Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,506 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   2. submitted on November 28, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.
Paid Advertisement