Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hayward in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Rancho San Lorenzo

 
 
Rancho San Lorenzo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 10, 2011
1. Rancho San Lorenzo Marker
Inscription. Original site of corrals of Don Guillermo Castro and part of 26,722 acre grant of Rancho San Lorenzo made by Governor Michaeltorena, 1842. Rancho adobe stood on present site of City Hall. Castro’s wife was Marie Luisa Peralta, daughter of grantee of Rancho San Antonio. His cousin was Juan Bautista Alvarado. Governor, 1836 – 1842.
 
Erected 1946 by Eden Parlor No. 113 and Historic Landmarks Committee, N.S.G.W.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 37° 40.243′ N, 122° 4.939′ W. Marker is in Hayward, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Mission Boulevard (State Highway 185) south of C Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted at the base of the left light pole at the entrance steps to the Hayward City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22787 Mission Boulevard, Hayward CA 94541, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hayward Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); NSGW Hall - Eden Parlor No. 113 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Palmtag Building (about
Rancho San Lorenzo Marker and Hayward City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 10, 2011
2. Rancho San Lorenzo Marker and Hayward City Hall
700 feet away); I.D.E.S. Council Hayward #14 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition Campsite #98 (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ); The Meek Mansion (approx. 1.9 miles away); The McConaghy Estate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of First Public School in Castro Valley (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hayward.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Don Castro’s wife was the daughter of Luis Maria Peralta having grown up on the neighboring Rancho San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Castro Valley. The City of Castro Valley, located just north of Hayward, is also located on land that at one time was part of the 26,722 acre Rancho San Lorenzo. This article tells the history of the area, from being home to the Ohlone, through the Mission period, the Rancho era, and finally into the late 19th century and the 20th century. (Submitted on April 11, 2011.) 

2. Don Castro – 1838. Don Guillermo was born in California, then a Mexican possession in 1810. The son of Don Carlos Castro of
Rancho San Lorenzo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 10, 2011
3. Rancho San Lorenzo Marker
Las Lagas Rancho. His birthplace was located near the village of Coyote in what is now Santa Clara County. (Submitted on April 11, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Hayward City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 10, 2011
4. Hayward City Hall
Hayward City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 10, 2011
5. Hayward City Hall
Site of the Rancho San Lorenzo Adobe
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 11, 2011, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement