Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Quantico Marine Corps Base in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cedar Run Court House Site

 
 
Cedar Run Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
1. Cedar Run Court House Site Marker
Inscription.
Second Prince William
Court House
1742 - 1760

 
Erected 1974 by Prince William County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 35.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Prince William County Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 38° 37.882′ N, 77° 30.286′ W. Marker is near Quantico Marine Corps Base, Virginia, in Prince William County. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Quantico Marine Corps Base, and can be accessed from MCB 8, near the northwest corner of the base. Authorization is required to visit sites aboard the base. Marker is in this post office area: Quantico VA 22134, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonial Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Asbury Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Quantico Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of C.C.C. Camp P-71, “Camp Recovery” (approx. 4 miles away); Brentsville (approx. 4 miles away); Brentsville – 1822 Tavern Site (approx. 4 miles away); Brentsville - County Courthouse (approx. 4 miles away); Brentsville - County Jail (approx. 4 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The list includes all five Prince William
Cedar Run Court House Site and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
2. Cedar Run Court House Site and Marker
A split rail fence surrounding the marker and a kiosk were added in late 2007. A split rail fence was chosen as a historically relevant enclosure.
County Courthouses in sequence from first through the fifth. Note that there are two markers for the second courthouse, including this one.
 
Also see . . .
1. Copy of Interpretive Display in the Kiosk. This link is a .pdf copy of the kiosk's interpretive display. Information enclosed was researched, documented and developed by Mr. John Haynes, an archaeologist with the Marine Corps Base's Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs (NREA) office. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs, MCB, Quantico. The Cedar Run Courthouse site is maintained by the Base's NREA Branch, who manage all programs conserving natural, cultural, archeological, and historical resources aboard the Base. (Submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Cedar Run Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
3. Cedar Run Court House Site Marker
Compare the site in this December 2007 photograph with a similiar one taken in 2004 (see next picture).
Cedar Run Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
JRC from Arizona, USA, circa 2004
4. Cedar Run Court House Site Marker
Cedar Run Court House Site image. Click for more information.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
5. Cedar Run Court House Site
A recently installed kiosk at the site holds an interpretive display. While the site's remoteness limits visitation, the information presented in the kiosk is available for viewing at the following link.
Click for more information.
Cedar Run Court House Site image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
6. Cedar Run Court House Site
For the occasional visitor, a metal sign is posted to identify the site and its contents.
Evergreen Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
7. Evergreen Cemetery
On the road between the parking area and the Cedar Run Court House Site, is the Evergreen Cemetery. This cemetery is one of about 33 cemeteries maintained by base personnel.
Grave Stone at Evergreen Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., December 12, 2007
8. Grave Stone at Evergreen Cemetery
Almost all the Evergreen Cemetery graves were marked with simple stones. One stood out, that of Mary D. Land. Regrettably, most of the inscription has been lost to time.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,440 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 12, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement