Hinesville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Charlton Hines House
After Hines' death the house was occupied by his son and was later used as the Hines Hotel. In 1941 the house was moved from its location on Main (originally Market) Street to its present location and converted into apartments. Later it was completely remodeled and used as offices.
The house originally was much larger than it now is and had a piazza across the front. Only the central part of the original house is still standing. An interesting feature of the 1837 interior was a ceiling medallion in the parlor.
Erected 1998 by The Liberty County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 50.871′ N, 81° 35.809′ W. Marker is in Hinesville, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of West Court Street and West Street, on the right when traveling east on West Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 West Court Street, Hinesville GA 31313, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Fort Morris Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradwell Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Liberty County (about 400 feet away); Liberty County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away); Hinesville Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bacon-Fraser House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bradwell Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hinesville.
Also see . . . Riches to Rags story of Charlton Hines. By Margie Love, Liberty Lore columnist (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,033 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.