Warrenton in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Home of the “Gray Ghost.”
Other Points of Interest:
1. The Warren Green Hotel (rebuilt after a fire in 1876) where Gen. George B. McClellan bade farewell to his troops on Nov. 16, 1862, when he was relieved of his command.
2. The “California Building,” built by William “Extra Billy” Smith, twice governor of Virginia and a general in the Civil War, from profits made in the California Gold Rush. Mosby practiced law here after the war.
3. 118 Culpeper St., the home of Capt. John Quincy Marr of the Warrenton Rifles Co., the first Confederate officer killed in the war. He died on June 1, 1861, at Fairfax Court House and is buried in the Warrenton Cemetery.
4. The Warrenton Cemetery, where Mosby is buried near a monument to 600 Confederate unknown soldiers. A map on the caretaker’s cottage identifies the location of all Confederate
5. 67 Waterloo St., the home of Gen. Eppa Hunton, who was captured at Sailor’s Creek and imprisoned at Fort Warren. Following the war he served as a U.S. Congressman and Senator.
6. The Presbyterian Church at 4th and Main Streets shows the outline of bricks used to repair an opening cut to accommodate wagons when Federal troops used the ground floor as a stable and the upstairs sanctuary as a hospital.
7. 173 Main St. was Mosby’s home following the war.
8. The railroad depot, now a rails-to-trails park, was a hub of activity during the war and the site of an attempt on Mosby’s life following the war when he fell into disfavor for befriending Ulysses S. Grant.
9. The Warrenton-Fauquier County Visitors Center, open seven days a week, year-round, has Civil War Trails maps and additional historic material.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 42.826′ N, 77° 47.755′ W. Marker is in Warrenton, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of Waterloo Street (Business U.S. 211) and Ashby Street, on the left when traveling west on Waterloo Street. Touch for map. The marker is in a courtyard between the Fauquier
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Singleton Mosby (here, next to this marker); Lafayette’s Stepping Stone (here, next to this marker); Executions in the Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Warrenton (within shouting distance of this marker); Norris Tavern / The Warren Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brentmoor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Black Horse Cavalry (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warrenton.
More about this marker. The marker has a photo, courtesy of Fort Ward Museum, showing wartime Warrenton, with the caption, “This photo was taken in August 1862, near where you are now standing. The Court House in the photo was destroyed by fire in 1889 and replaced with the current structure, a nearly identical replica. The brick building on the left (15 Main St.) and several other buildings still stand.
The marker also features a small picture
Also see . . .
1. The Mosby House at 173 Main Street. (Submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Warren-Green Hotel. Pictures of the Warren-Green Hotel and California Building are related to this marker. (Submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Captain John Quincy Marr. Captain Marr's death is detailed on a marker in Fairfax County. (Submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Mosby's Confederacy
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,109 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on April 12, 2011, by Jonathan Carruthers of Bealeton, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.