Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Residential Life at R. E. Lee Camp, No.1
R. E. Lee Camp, No.1
—Confederate Soldiers’ Home —
“We have a home in the true sense of the word for the old boys.”
Near this area was once the central commons of the Confederate soldiers’ home. Around the oak-filled park stood the administration building, barracks, dining hall, hospital, recreation hall, steam plant, and assorted outbuildings. The superintendent’s house, nine residential cottages, and a chapel formed an arc to the west. With the exception of Robinson House and the Confederate Memorial Chapel, the structures were demolished or moved in the early 1940s.
For residents, life revolved around
Our rooms are furnished with two single iron bedsteads … good mattress, bureau, washstand, pitcher and bowl, and two chambers. We are required to sweep them out every morning and carry out our slops…. They give us a hat, over coat, full suit of uniform, four pair shoes a year, soap, tobacco, chewing or smoking … undershirts and drawers, top shirts … socks, towels and color handkerchiefs.
Home for Needy Confederate Women
The monumental limestone building to the west was built in 1932 as a residence for destitute female relatives of Confederate veterans. After relocating the home’s final inhabitants to a nursing facility in 1989, the Commonwealth set aside the property for use by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Today the renovated and renamed Pauley Center houses museum offices and meeting rooms.
Erected 2011 by Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Location. 37° 33.388′ N, 77° 28.553′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia Touch for map. Located behind the Pauley Center at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Sheppard Street, Richmond VA 23221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Home For Needy Confederate Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Confederate Memorial Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robinson House (about 400 feet away); Arnold’s Picket Driven In (approx. 0.2 miles away); Virginia Historical Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial Bell Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stonewall Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . .
1. The Home for Needy Confederate Women. Virginia Heritage, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library (Submitted on April 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Richmond Then and Now - The Southland's House of Memories. Confederate Home for Women Is 'Living, Breathing Shrine' Where Homage to the Mothers Of the South Never Dims, by Jack Burgess, Richmond Times-Dispatch, January 27 , 1935 (Submitted on April 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Home for Needy Confederate Women (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on April 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.