Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Immaculate Conception Church
The church was established in 1848. The first building, a frame structure, was erected here in 1851. Father Thomas O’Reilly, its pastor, successfully appealed to Union General H.W. Slocum in 1864 to spare his church and the neighborhood. Thus, the church, four other churches, and the City Hall-Court House were saved from destruction when Atlanta was burned. Cornerstone of this structure laid in 1869. Completed and dedicated in 1873. Designated a Shrine in 1954.
Erected 1981 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 060-198.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 45.037′ N, 84° 23.383′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr Drive and Central Avenue SW, on the left when traveling west on Martin Luther King Jr Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 Martin Luther King Jr Drive, Atlanta GA 30303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Burning and Destruction of Atlanta Historic Ground (about 500 feet away); Georgia Railroad Freight Depot (about 500 feet away); John Brown Gordon (about 500 feet away); Fulton County (about 500 feet away); Transfer of Command (about 500 feet away); The Battle of Atlanta (about 500 feet away); The Seige of Atlanta (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 474 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.